Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Worldview.

At a very young age I was aware of my culture and background. My father would always tell me that I was Italian and I considered that to be my cultural identity. Being Italian in my family is where all my personal folklore originates. I have been given the opportunity to grow up learning recipes from my great grandmother and my grandmother that I still use today. All of the traditions I have are based on what my relatives did when they were in Italy and what they did once they came to the states.

In fact, it was not until I was in the first grade that I really began to encounter different cultures. Most of my time growing up was spent with family and we were all the same. Once I reached elementary school I began to see and understand how different cultures affected each other and how they affected me. Being able to see how others felt about their cultures really helped me to become more accepting because I knew what it was like to cherish traditions and all that comes with it.

Without my upbringing and the experiences I had in my life with others, I do not think that I would be the same person that I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment