Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Family Story

Sorry this is late - I thought it was due tomorrow!

My father grew up in NJ, but he likes to tell me stories about his family in Mahanoy City - his Aunt Mary and his cousins, Timmy, Tommy and Tuffy (I still have no idea what "Tuffy" comes from), all of whom apparently spoke with Irish accents. According to my father, everyone in Mahanoy City knew Aunt Mary. My dad and his father would take the train to Mahanoy City, and everyone on the streets would stop them to say hello when they were with her. When Aunt Mary died, the service was presided over by an Irish priest who went on at great length about Aunt Mary's life, with particular emphasis on the poker games she hosted at her house. My father's favorite part of the story is that at her funeral, a bagpiper played "Amazing Grace" on a hilltop in the distance. Every time he ends the story, he informs me that I need to learn the bagpipes so that I can do the same for him someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment