Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My world view

I have been fortunate enough to grow up with both American and Pakistani influences in my life.  Although my American culture is more prevalent than my Pakistani culture, I have learned to adapt aspects from both to create one identity.

I grew up with a strong oral tradition of expressing "ghost" stories, depicting supernatural, religious beings with a strong affiliation to nature.  Because of the strong impact these stories had in my life, I have developed a deep appreciation to nature.  I have learned nature to be a very spiritual and mysterious element in my cultural folklore, which has taught me to respect and fear the unknown-- the darkness around me.  In a sense, this fear of darkness translates to the fear of being alone and a fear of trusting the unknown.  Never go out alone in the dark because something will follow you.  Do not welcome strangers, because they are not who they say they are.  I have learned this at an early age, and I feel because of these strong messages that were transmitted to me through my ethnic folklore, I have learned to not trust the people that are not directly associated to my folklore groups.  

What I have learned through my ethnic folklore parallels with my American views.  Although my Pakistani culture enforces family ties and community, I have learned to be an individual, being raised in America.  Individuality is a constant theme I encounter on a daily basis.  When teenagers turn 18, they typically move out.  Have your own place, have your own car, have your own career and your own life.  You are allowed to make independent choices, unlike in the Pakistani culture, where family makes the decisions for you.  Because of this driving force of independence and individuality in American culture, it emphasizes the idea of solitude that I hold within me.

No comments:

Post a Comment