Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Folk Group

I am now feeling a little better after reading other's posts about not really being able to think about folklore and how it relates or is incorporated into to my life personally. After reading this chapter I feel like I may have a little to offer. =)

I have been bartending in a restaurant for five years and I can say that the people that work in a restaurant are definitely a special kind of group. For example, when I first started working there and a table would be sitting way too long or was really rude and you just wanted them to leave the thing to do is crush a little salt in your hand and as you walk by the particular table causing you trouble throw the salt on the ground. Its a common myth and honestly nine out of ten times it works. About five minutes later they always tend to get up and leave. We also have secret code names for attractive people of the opposite sex that come in to eat. Everyone who works there knows these terms, but to customers ears they would just assume we are talking about some random food item. Another example is when someone is really busy and flustered and just plain freaking out we call that term being in the "weeds."

I honestly could go on and on about stories in relation to my family. We make up so many different nicknames for one another, relate songs to certain occurrences in our lives, and have a lot of traditions that are special to us. I am a military brat who moved around quite a bit. During the car rides my mom, dad, and I who were all driving separate cars and following each other would communicate through walkie talkies. We had decided to make up nicknames for one another which ended up being from the movie Top Gun. I was Goose, my Dad Maverick, and my Mom Iceman. To this day we call each other that and it all stemmed from those long car rides joking around over walkie talkies.

No comments:

Post a Comment