Thursday, September 10, 2009

My Folk Groups

Originally, I never really thought I was part of to many folk groups. To me, a folk group was very old timey and just stuff I was never really into. After reading Chapter 3, not only did I realize that folk groups were very different from what I thought they were, but I also realized I was a part of many folk groups. 

I am a part of groups such as my age folk group and my gender folk group. I am a teenage male and therefore am automatically in those folk groups. I understand many ideas that may only make sense to teenage males. My favorite folk groups, however, are ones where I can draw stories from. If you asked any of my friends, they know that I always have a story of some sort, and many of my stories revolve around 2 things: my time playing/umpiring baseball and my family. 

Baseball has always been a huge part of my life. I've played since I was 6 and have been an umpire since I was 12. To me, this is a folk group because of the amount of stories I have gotten out of it. I could go on for days about experiences, and even some "legendary ocourrences" I've experienced through baseball.

Then there's my family. Through them, and especially my Dad, I have even more traditions and stories to tell, for example, our various Christmas traditions. My family also has introduced and immersed me in my Italian culture, bringing a lot of tradition out for me, such as pasta every Sunday night for example. 

So for a guy who didn't think he was part of any folk groups, it turns out I'm in a lot, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment