Thursday, September 10, 2009

folk group

I belong to different types of folk group, but of those folk groups, the most prevalent type of folk group that I identify myself with is through my family and region. Although I was born and raised in Virginia all my life, my parents moved here from Pakistan in the early 70s. When they moved here, they brought all their beliefs and customs here, and growing up I learned all about Pakistani Folklore. I admit, however, that although I do not practice several of these traditions, I grew up learning about this, and I am very appreciate of the rich customs of Pakistan, and I feel that I am associated with this folk group because of that.

I learned a lot about Pakistani culture through the folklore that I grew up with, which was nice because even though I was growing up in America, I had a strong connection to the same foundations that my parents grew up with. I grew up with religious rituals and celebrations, such as fasting during Ramadan and Eid. Growing up, there was a strong emphasis on oral tradition, in which I can recall dozens of stories shared by my family, which served as a tool to teach moral beliefs and customs of Pakistani culture. Also, folk music and folk dance were very common aspects in my life.

A few other traditions include the mendhi that are drawn on women's skin for wedding celebrations, or the sacrificing of goats as a form of appreciation to Allah. Food is a strong component of Pakistani folklore, as well, as there are distinct flavors and recipes used for certain celebrations. Religious motifs are also prominent, as they are used for decorative purposes in the house, but also as a mechanism to protect against evil spirits. Another interesting ritual is to splash Holy water in each of the rooms in the house, also used to protect against evil spirits, which there seems to be a lot of in Pakistani folklore.

No comments:

Post a Comment