Monday, September 14, 2009

Okay -- as soon as Miner mentioned "the river Pa-To-Mac," I was onto him! So it was kind of hard to take the article seriously after that. =) However, it did shed light on how differing cultures perceive one another.

I do my best to go to Bible study and church every Sunday, which is one example of my everyday folklore. My parents went to church when they were young, and then my parents made sure to take us kids to church each Sunday, as well. Now, I take my own daughters to church each Sunday. And believe me, it's not always easy to get them, or myself, out of bed on Sunday mornings!

So how is this an expression of my worldview? Many times I know I see things differently than others, and may or may not know why. According to Toelken, I have a particular way of looking at things that has been passed down to me, and that I pass down to my children, and in essence it's the main reason behind my personal worldview. For example, through my upbringing, my understanding of the Bible is that God commands us to fellowship with other Christians -- which to me means I'm supposed to be in church each Sunday, worshipping God and spending time with other believers. On the other hand, my husband's childhood church-going experiences differed from mine, in that his family attended several different churches, in a more sporatic fashion. He doesn't necessarily interpret the Bible in the same way as me, and only joins us in church on occasion. While it is important for me to attend church, my husband has a more laid-back approach to it and enjoys watching Joel Olsteen on tv.

While they still don't change my opinion, the articles do lend an explanation as to why differing cultures might maintain opposing viewpoints.

No comments:

Post a Comment