Wednesday, September 9, 2009

So many folk groups

Coming from many different backgrounds and cultures, I can easily say that I belong to several folk groups. Each of these groups are rich with folklore of all kinds. Growing up with a Jewish mom and Catholic dad, both of whom converted to Hinduism before I was born, I got a taste of just about everything religion had to offer. Along with practicing religious traditions of each of those religions, my siblings and I grew up with bits and pieces from each culture that our grandparents and parents participated in. For Passover we always put out a glass of wine for Elijah to drink while we ate around our table with my grandma at the head reading from the Torah. Little did we know that my uncle drank the wine everytime until I was about 15 and I caught him doing it. For Christmas we always drank egg nog and decorated the tree as a family with a Menorah close by depending on when Hanukah fell that year. And for Hindu celebrations we would always go to temple and worship, decorating our house and eating indian foods.

Now that I've moved out of my family's bubble and joined a very southern Seventh Day Adventist family, I've joined yet another folk group. I can't say that I've left any of my folklore behind from my parent's home but I fully enjoy participating in my new family's culture and traditions. Every weekend during the summertime, we go out on a boat and go fishing for an entire day. Afterwards we have a fish-fry where we all eat together and enjoy each other's company. We also have a "mandatory" family reunion every year on the 4th of July weekend. While it is not a culture that comes from anywhere outside of the U.S. it is comfortable and joyful so I fully accept it as my own.

Bringing in traditions from the "old country" as my grandparents call Ireland, Portugal, Romania, and Lithuania makes it that much easier for me to find a way to connect with everyone in my family and extended family because they are things we all know and to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment