Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Folk Groups - Sam S.

I never considered myself as part of a "folk group" due to my ignorance of what a folk group is.

I am 20 years old, so I belong to the group of young people the same age as me. We have our own sayings and jokes. I have countless stories of eventful parties that would most likely embarass the majority of my friends.

I was born and raised on Long Island, New York. Yes, I am a New Yorker. I am apart of the group that was and still is affected by 9/11. There is a sense of community when we all come together, and there is beauty in the stories we tell even though it still causes us pain to talk about it.


My family would be considered a folk group. My parents are divorced so I have two different folk groups in my family. My dad's side of the family are the loud Italians that always have something to say to you when you walk in the door; most of my family on my dad's side are well into their 60s, 70s, and 80s, so they always have a story to tell about "back in the day" growing up in Brooklyn and Queens, NY. My Mom's side of the family is a bit more relaxed, but always reminisce on the days when they were teenagers.

These are the folk groups that I belong to that stick out in my mind.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. Do you belong to any clubs or other groups?

    ReplyDelete