Thursday, September 17, 2009

World Views

I suppose my family affected my world view. My mother is a teacher and my dad a journalism professor, so I have a love of words and learning. Raised in a very Christian environment, I still have a faith in God and keep Christian morals.
I am my own person, though, and that has taken me different ways than that same environment took my sister. Instead of seeking out other English majors and other Christians as friends, I hang out with many "nerds" who discuss electronics, video games, and science. Few of my close friends pursue any religion. Because of this, my beliefs have changed and become less orthodox, though still true to the heart of Christianity. I also think I am more knowledgeable of other groups and have more varied ideas than most people.
Finally, I do martial arts. Any martial artist will likely tell you that they are constantly measuring up those around them. Doing martial arts has made me more aware of dangers and makes me think about the statistics of a fight and other dangerous situations. It has also put me in contact with a lot of military people and their families. This has given me a deeper understanding of what it's like on ships and submarines.

No comments:

Post a Comment