Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Let's get Folky

In my understanding a folk group is any group of people that can be considered a group, that is, any collection of people with some identifiable factor of unity. With this in mind, I find that I belong to many more folk groups than I originally thought, however, in my opinion, none are particularly amazing or extra special, and for the purpose of self definition, I find myself something of a "mutt" having no defined background or traceable path of group solidarity and pronounced folklore.

Of course, everyone belongs to the 6 major kinds of folk groups, but they may not have a personal identification with that group. For example:
Occupationally- I am a resident advisor in YRC, and we are a close knit group of employees, but I have yet to find out what this means for me in a sense of traditions.
I am 20 years old, too young to drink legally, old enough to be drafted and drive. 20 is perhaps not a terribly exciting age but for the fact that it's kind of a gateway, and I tend to not identify with others my age.
In regards to family- My family is not extremely close, we meet up for holidays, there tends to be bickering among my Father's siblings, they get over it and we eat. The food is good.
I am a female, I have the same bits as most other people with two X chromosomes, I like guys, makeup, shoes and Cosmopolitan.

All of this of course does point to the fact that I am an American. I am a 2o year old female, in college, holding a position of authority within the college who is not religiously bound to anything who defines herself at least partially in consumer terms and freedoms. Sounds like an American to me. I enjoy going to college and love the folklore of college, I love rubbing George's toe when i pass by, I love staying up at all hours, I love listening to music and watching movies instead of doing homework. All of this is considered to be collegiate folk lore, and it's great!

-Missy


No comments:

Post a Comment