Wednesday, September 9, 2009

FG

Despite belonging to the folk group of my immediate family, I would say that we are quite devoid of any real traditions or folklore. However, my extended family has a lot of folklore. Every summer, either the week of or the week after the fourth of July, we gather in upstate New York on Lake Wannetta. This original tradition started when my family was quite small as compared to the 35-37 people who now gather. We would gather at my Grandparents house on a small pond. The week revolves around the younger cousins and my grandparents. There is always time set aside for talk of my grandfather. Whether it was in the war or running his way into the world record books, he never fails to remind us.
My grandmother once told us a story about her growing up in NY, NY. She would go down to the baseball fields with her brothers, and one sunday Babe Ruth showed up and played a pick-up game with them, signed autographs. This story has been in the family for years, along with her claims that a distant relative of hers was the original voice of donald duck.

The other folk group that I associate with the most is my volleyball team. When we get together in a social setting, we tell stories of past teams and players. The stories that are told the most often is of our coach. Our coach is infamous for being sneaky and knowing things that he shouldn't conceivably know. Years ago, the players came up with the idea that he is a ninja. I mean, if you think about it, it really does make sense. He is sneaky. He knows all, and no one understands how. He will play intense mind games with everyone, trying to both see what your made of and to motivate. No one knows who originated the idea. The idea has developed into more of a myth than a story now. We use it to explain off anything we can't come up with.

I belong to multiple folk groups, just as everyone. However, these two are the two that I relate to and care about the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment