Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A dash in regard to worldview...

How has folklore influenced my worldview? It can become a bit confusing when trying to divorce the psychological units of my values, beliefs, and manners between the different forces of existence: popular culture and folklore would be two. This topic is especially tricky since my sense of accurately identifying folklore in more precise terms is not refined itself. The question is then, simply, what about my mental trajectory might I say is related to any personal folklore while allowing for a reasonable margin of novice error?
I will propose that my general outlook or mental focus on “taking action” is something that was greatly rooted in childhood folklore. To further elaborate on that generalization, my family tree seems to have placed a large stock in nurturing a sense of occupational value in its members. Most of our retold stories center on being involved in a task, career, or hobby. Even today, the first question that is brought up when talking of others is usually, “Oh, what is he/she doing right now?” Use of the verb do is, of course, referring the subject’s gainful life pursuits.
My father was possessed to develop a constant awareness for his children that bettering one’s life position (whether that is spiritually, monetarily, or skillfully) was a fair nobler use of life than other possible behaviors. He did this through stories: stories of him overcoming adversities, stories from his military service, and stories about his family’s poverty. It can also be said that there types of stories also encourage an openness, or alertness, for appreciating the current circumstances that one might find him or herself in.

I’d enjoy a discussion in regard to exactly how close a family’s tradition for political views skirts the line between indoctrination and folklore, but I am already willing to believe the answer is “quite a bit,” or even “irrelevant.” If not, I have a lot of material concerning McCarthyism to fuel my response of this question.

No comments:

Post a Comment