Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My Folk Groups

            I guess the groups of folk I see myself apart of are the folk of American citizens, and the Scottish Highland Clan Davidson.  I never really saw myself as apart of any folk group but then again I never really thought of folk groups as "folk" to begin with.

    The folk group of American citizen to me is a mixture of all folk groups, something everyone can be apart of.  That perception could be from being taught about America being a “melting pot” and also just from my experience of being surrounded by people of different countries, cultures, and faiths.  We have stories like Paul Bunyan and Johnny Appleseed but I think the most telling, and prevalent folklore we have are our stories of immigrants coming to America, or the civil rights movement, or people rising above their trials and making a difference.  Our folklore is for everyone who wants to be apart of it.  To me that is the most important folklore we have as Americans.

  For the folk group Clan Davidson I grew up competing in the Highland Games every year and I would always represent Clan Davidson in the Scottish Christmas walk parade.  It has been awhile since I have done any of those things and I do not know much about the group’s folk culture but I am hoping to learn more.  I do not know much of the folk culture of the Clan Davidson except for the tartan, and the motto which is “Sapienter Si Sincncere” which means Wisely if Sincerely.  I also know that the Clan Davidson had a castle called Tulloch Castle.  There is also a story I remember learning from my uncle when I was really little.  The story was about how in one battle a soldier of Clan Davidson was the only one to survive and when he realized he was the only one left he ran away from the battle for 16 miles.  Sadly that is all I know.

    Maybe I am apart of other folk groups but these two are the ones I identify with best.  

No comments:

Post a Comment