Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Place

>I never considered my work to be a folk group but in fact many things in the vet field are folklore. There are the "horror" stories passed down from the vets and techs about school. The most ever present lore is that of naming pets, NEVER name a dog/cat "Lucky" "Happy" "Sugar" "Angel" etc because inevitably all the Lucky's will get cancer, a urinary tract infection, loose an eye and get hit by a semi all in the same day. "Happy"s and "Angel"s will always be big turds.
> As for family, there is a lot of lore to be found there. I consider myself part of an Appalachian sort of group, with my mom's side hailing from the mountainous region itself. Growing up we learned folklore about trees, shrubs, following the mossy side of the tree to get home and even right down to how to skin and butcher a deer. We learned more crafty things like how to use a loom, croche and knit. "secret" recipes are passed down for that "fail-proof" Martha's White pie crust too.
> I also have a religious folk group of southern baptists. (no not the snake charming/kool-aide drinking type). We have certain traditions, such as lighting the 5 advent candles the 5 Sunday's before Christmas and having the same Passion play every Easter, right down to the costumes one of the church's founders sew'd.
>I feel like I could go on forever about folklore in my life and groups that I belong to but will stop with these few.

1 comment: