Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Personal Folklore and Worldview

One way that my personal folklore impacts my worldview is that I am usually a very logical and honest person, but I love photography. Photography at first I thought was a right brained activity. Very artsy, very different. Then I realized it is all about logic. It is about the equation of time you develop the negatives and then the time that the film is then exposed for. Even when you are washing the photograph you have set designated times for when it will be done. When I tried to take an art class and actually draw it backfired. I grew tired of the endless drawing and painting. I couldn't see the end or how it would turn out. With photography I already had a mental image of how it would look and my goal was to make it as good as the image in my head or better. With drawing or painting I couldn't see an image of what I was doing first. This is how I am in the rest of my life, I plan everything. Then when my plans go haywire I have a back up plan, but it still throws me completely off kilter. This is the same for my Dad. In high school I had to have a schedule for what I was doing for the next 2 weeks and give it to him, #1 because he didn't want to chauffeur me around, and #2 somehow something conflicts with everything he does. It was a constant battle, because what teenager is really going to plan 2 weeks in advance with their friends to go see a movie. For a teenager, in 2 weeks you don't know if that same person will still be your friend.
Another way that my personal folklore impacts my worldview is that my family was effected by Nazi Germany. Most people my age don't hold a grudge against Nazi Germany. Not only was I not born at that time, but neither was my father (who's side of my family is Jewish). However, his parents were very effected by what happened, and because of that he held on to it and passed it on to me. I don't think that it was intentional, because I've struggled with this feeling for a very long time now. But the other thing that most people my age do not have is a father and mother who are in their late 50's early 60's. Most 21 year old's parents are between the ages of 45 and 50. Because my parents had children late, it also means that some of their own beliefs that were not passed down by the generation after them are in me.
Finally the last one, my Dad grew up in Honduras, El Salvador, and Mexico City during the 1950's and early 60's. This was during the time of all of Central America's revolutions. So, because of that, my father in a restuarant, book store, movie theater prefers to sit with his back against the wall. So he can see everything. In Fairfax, he doesn't do it as much as he used to because he is comfortable now and knows the area, but if we go somewhere outside of our normal routine he sits with his back against the wall. This triggers a hyper sense of awareness in me because I can see what he is doing and why. So I become tense and listen closely to things he says. I didn't realize I did this until about a year ago because on of my close friends mentioned it. But it is a way in my family that we understand something is different, or out of place, and we all need to pay attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment