Monday, September 14, 2009

Worldview

In Tolkein's reading, he brings up in the beginning the example of Hope children using different sides of their brains for different languages. Also that people who speak different languages tend to have different worldviews. In the same way, people growing up in different families with unique kinds of folklore, will have all kinds of perceptions of the world. Growing up in a large family with very strong family values and traditions, my siblings and I had a complete understanding of each other and the world around us that our peers did not. I can easily make the comparison between our own "language" that we had and that of everyone else with the Hopi children who understood their own language differently than English.
We grew up with the traditions of eating dinner together every single night and having movie nights with pizza every friday night. When we would leave our little world at home to go to school or work, I would switch gears and change my mode so that I could fit in with my peers at school and participate in that part of the world. I perceived things differently than the other kids who had 'dysfunctional' families and those who had no siblings. My work ethic came from my family folklore where we all worked hard in school so that we could be as educated as possible, unlike our grandparents who never had the same opportunities and struggled through life. Once we returned home at the end of the day, my siblings and I would share our day with each other and communicate the difficulties we faced and how we dealt with them. It was always so comfortable and relieving to discuss these things with people who I knew understood me.
Now that I am setting out to start my own family, I carry these ethics and folklore with me so that I can teach them to my children so that they may benefit from them as I did. In regards to my 'worldview', it is a complete reflection of the way I was raised in such a big and close family. Even living at such a distance from my family and the world I grew up in, I bring my own values of family dinners and movie nights to my husband and our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment