Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Impression and Purposes

My impression of these stories is that most are very interesting and entertaining but many are very violent, which is what I expected because of the Grimm’s reputation.  I was still surprised sometimes at how gory they can get though.  But, I really like most of the stories especially Hans in Luck and Hansel and Grethel because they are funny and weird.  I was not really expecting many of the stories to be funny.  I have never read any of the original Grimm fairy tales but I herd that they were quite gory and depressing.  So it was a pleasant surprise when some were actually light hearted and funny.

         I think that many of the stories are purely for entertainment.  But there are many that have some sort of lesson in them also.  Some of the stories I would think act as a great deterrent to bad behavior among children.  After being told the story of The Goose Girl, it would be a lot harder for me to lie and deceive than if my parents just old me not to lie.  These stories teach impressionable children all the bad things that happen if they do not live a smart, and moral life.  At least it is what the parents want the children to think that is what happens when they are bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment