Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Gesture in the Online World

When it comes to everyday conversation, I use gesture a lot. I use my hands with almost everything I say, usually to hep convey my message or story better or to give more effect (and as the joke goes, the way to keep an Italian from talking is to tie their hands behind their back). In the online world, this is much more difficult. Obviously, being online, no one can see your hands, or even your eyes to try to interpret further meaning in your words. Some people can type gestures, such as smiley faces or different "emotocons." I rarely use these, however, because I don't feel it's quite the same as actual interaction and using actual gesture with people. Overall, yes, gesture is possible in the online world, but it's not as effective, and therefore, less used.

No comments:

Post a Comment