Saturday, October 31, 2009

Carnival and Article

I thought that the point in the article about how trying to get Hispanic folks to all subscribe to one cultural identity is foolish was a good one. There are far too many differences in culture between one country and the next for them to all want to come together under one label. I don't really see why we expect that considering that we make such a huge deal out of separating the different European countries' cultures. I know that I would be offended if someone told me that because my ancestors came from Europe I was supposed to eat snails like the French.

I thought that the film was interesting in that it portrayed the different cultural groups within just one city competing and claiming to be different from one another. I think that the need to identify one's self from another group is too strong to completely ignore. It was nice to see that the Carnival in Bahia was able to allow people to express themselves as being different in a (somewhat) safe environment while still letting everyone be free to party.

1 comment:

  1. I see your point about identity and carnaval, but in this case, I think they do this because of tradition, not because it signifies their identity.

    ReplyDelete