Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Family

My family is big on family closeness. Whenever someone goes away for a long time and then comes home, we have a big mini celebration. We go out to eat and things like that. For example, my brother went to the Marine Corps, and he'd only have a couple days of leave a year. Whenever he came home, my parents made sure it was a comfortable stay for him.

But I remember one moment of religious superstition for our family. It is pretty funny now that I think about it. One late afternoon (early, evening, I'm not sure), my parents and my aunt (who was living with us at the time with her daughter) each took a bottle of oil (olive, I think), went outside the house and walked around touching the exterior of the house with the oil, all the while praying in tongues. I was invited to tag along. It was pretty bizarre. I didn't understand why they were doing it, even though I knew the reason--to ward off evil spirits from our house.

I guess I'm in one of those very religious families, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment