Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Gestures in the On-line World

One would assume that gestures, in order to be received, would have to be in person. However, today's high tech society has come up with ways to gesture on-line without the face to face contact.
When texting people can use symbols that emulate actual gestures. For example, one can wink by using a semi colon and a closing parentheses, ;). Another example is the "oh my gosh" face, :0. These kind of gestures are known as emoticons. When emoticons first started coming up I was wondering why people were sending me random punctuation marks. It took me a little while to figure out that they were meant to be faces. There is also the "less the 3" you, <3 u. This means that whoever sent this loves the recipient.
I know that by sending these emoticons helps express emotions and gestures that can be shown by words but they also contribute to the lack of person to person interface. Sometimes the little emoticon things can be a little bit annoying, especially the <3. Just tell the person you love them and get it over with. It means more, I think, when the words are actually spelled out or said in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment