Monday, October 5, 2009

Blog 4: Translating Gesture Online

When I use instant-messaging communication, I don't feel that I'm limited in my expression. I may not see the person I'm communicating with face-to-face, or hear him/her speak, and vice versa, but both myself and that person will be able to use effective gestures such as "emoticons," or we can simply write exactly what body language "phrases" for expression. =) for "smiling, pleased, happy," or D= for "shocked, saddened, disappointment," are the most common icons that I use in online communication.

However, this is by no means a perfect system. Just as I can mistake someone's words or body language in person, I can also mistake someone's meaning online. For example, I may interpret a friend's single phrase answer as terse, or as a sign that she is annoyed with me, unless I see a reassuring "gesture" such as a smiley face or this "<3" - a heart emoticon that also expresses happiness, love, friendship, etc. But such symbols can also be used in sarcastic remarks, but unless you know the person very well and can "read between the lines" in that person's online expression, then you can also miss the hidden meaning. 

Gestures can be translated to online communication, but like communication itself, nothing is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment