Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Blog 5: Grimm Tales

My main impression of these tales is that while some are horrific and others are humorous (or both at the same time), many of them have multiple meanings and lessons in them. The one that I'm most familiar with is "Little Red Cap," after I read this original story a few years ago in another English class (I heard an "edited" version, without the particular punishments done to the wolves, as a child). The most obvious "lesson" in the tale for children is, naturally, "don't talk to strangers." But there's also a warning against young girls talking to strange men in particular (with the wolf representing men); a belief that children should listen to and deeply respect their elders; and a praise for those who show that they are clever. There are probably others that I'm missing, but my other impression is that these stories also contain a lot of symbolism that was important to the people who shared them.

As for their purpose, I also believe that they do impart lessons and advice. If I were to study these fairytales more in-depth, I would learn a lot about the folk culture that they originated from

No comments:

Post a Comment