Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Worldview

The idea of my experiences and worldview being shaped by the culture in which I grew up is very familiar to me because of classes in anthropology I have taken in the past, however the Toelken article was very interesting in how it suggested the effect of extremely specific aspects of our surroundings on very specific aspects of our worldviews. I agree that surroundings have a great influence on perception, however I think that in Toelken is at some times a bit extreme with his (her?) analyses, and his(her?) references to Freud and Jung in my view undermine the significance of some of her statements: for example her belief that mothers can have particularly potentially detrimental effects on the child are particularly revealing of her/his Freudian viewpoints. I think he/she fails to acknowledge that there are certain similarities between humans cross-culturally, but I suppose that this partially indicative of the time perid in which the article was written.

No comments:

Post a Comment