Sunday, May 31, 2009

Defining Drinking

My family likes to drink and there are several stories that tell of this, but two in particular define how the family drinks. My great grandfather was named Pop Corn and he owned a grocery store. Unfortunately, he was a tea totterler and the idea that I get from how my family elders tell the story is that he was not a good husband or dad. He liked to partake in the booze and strange woman. Therefore my grandfather would never drink in excess, but my grandmother liked cocktails in the evening, no more than two or three a night. Now there was an uncle, Sid, that loved to drink and party. He would always try to get my grandmother to have a few more drinks when the families got together up north for vacation. On one occasion, my grandmother did have a few too many. The result was a terrible hangover and a mad grandfather (her husband) who had to cook breakfast and take care of the kids the next morning. These stories are in a way a guide to the family drinking norms.

No comments:

Post a Comment