Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Folkgroups: So many groups, so little time

The readings lead me to believe that folkgroups are made up of persons whom share common interests, traditions, heritages, characteristics, and other bonds. It is difficult to nail down exactly what constitutes “common,” but I think that those who belong in each folk group should be able to relay a few reasons for why he/she belongs to that group. There is a specific tie. The reading indicates that there are 6 types of folkgroups: occupational, age, family, gender-differentiated, regional, and ethnic. Because these groups are so broad and encompassing, it is difficult to list each group I belong to, as there are dozens. So, in an effort to be concise, I have listed some of the important ones that I feel help define me.

Occupational: Student

Age: Adult

Family: This one is tricky AND long. So I’ll go with the one that I most interact with-my sisters and I.

Gender-differentiated: Female

Regional: Another tricky one, so I’ll go with the one which most helped shaped me, Hawaii

Ethnic: I am 3rd generation Irish-American

Each of these groups has extensive folklore associated with them. I’m going to focus my efforts on my Irish roots. I recently was fortunate enough to visit Ireland for the first time. In no time at all I was part of the landscape. While I was in the airport even strangers would ask me how to get somewhere or something about local culture. To their great disappointment I would reply in my American accent that I had no idea. It was understandable that they asked me such things, as I am 5’4”, freckled, redheaded, and pale. That’s what’s Irish right? My great-grandmother used to tell me in her thick Cork accent that I was kissed by Eire because I had red hair. Folklore says that the goddess Eire (founder of Ireland) had beautiful, flowing red hair. And those who have red hair bear her mark and are blessed. You are said to be ‘kissed’ or ‘touched’ by Eire and you will be surrounded with good things. The second part of this tale, which my great-grandmother left out, is that those who rub the head/hair of someone with red hair will be granted good luck for a time as well. SO I became well aware of this part of the folklore once in Ireland, because in almost every pub I went to complete Irish strangers would approach me and begin to rub my head without asking my permission, and many times, without even speaking to me! Thanks for the heads-up Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment