Tuesday, May 26, 2009

My Folk Places and Events

When I generally think of my personal folklore, religious traditions are always the first that come to mind. Although I was educated in private, Catholic schools, my family has always associated with the Baptist church. When my brothers and I were much younger, we attended Sunday school and church every week and always participated in volunteering and community events. Though my family no longer attends church every Sunday, the people we met and places we went will always remain an important part of my family's personal folklore. From the time that I started kindergarten, I have remained friends with a very close-knit group of people that are still in my life today. Together, we have created a number of traditions that remain personal to our friends and family. Ever year, we always take a beach trip to the Avon, North Carolina and eat at a restaurant called Dirty Dicks.  Since we have all been away at college, we decided to meet at least one night every holiday break in Old Town, Alexandria and exchange gifts. Although Starbucks is hardly considered unique in our society today, my best friend and I consistently meet at the same location in Alexandria every chance we get. We have become very friendly with the employees and sit in the same spot in the cafe every time we go. Although we have only been doing this for 5-6 years now, I believe that it will always remain a personal tradition for as long as the location exists.  

No comments:

Post a Comment