Monday, May 18, 2009

Corinne Boutin HW 5/18

Folk Groups...
From the reading, I gained that folk groups are basically people or ideas that are sorted into different groups (not based on culture or race, but based on occupation, gender, or age) that share common folklore within that group. The six groups are: occupational, age, family, gender-differentiated, regional, and ethnic/religious. I think that almost everyone will belong somewhere within each of these groups, based on where they fall in the folklore time scale.
For the occupational folk group, I am a full-time college student attending George Mason University, but I am also a part-time Administrative Intern working for a company called General Dynamics. I'm not sure if this would count as folklore- but I always heard that when people did internships, they never got paid for it. I used to think I would have to do an internship during my college career and not get paid for it. This proved untrue, however (at least in my case). Now that I write that out, it doesn't seem like folklore at all...
Within the age & family folk group, I consider myself a young adult. I am 20 years old and in college, but not fully out on my own yet. Within my family, we have many traditions. When I was younger, my family and I would drive down to South Carolina for Christmas. It was tradition that on Christmas Eve, everyone came over and we all opened our gifts. This happened every year until my Grandma died. Then, if my family and I weren't coming into town for Christmas (we were always the ones living in another state), then no one else saw the point of gathering on Christmas Eve to open gifts. Though we still open gifts on Christmas Eve every couple of years, the tradition is slowly dying out.
For the gender folk group, I am obviously a female... From what I gathered from the reading, this group seems to talk about occupations that are specifically for males or females, or things that are specifically attributed to being a male or female. The most common, I believe, is that many people thought women were evil, and hence witches who cast nasty spells on everyone. The Salem Witch trials is a prime example of this. So is "The Crucible".
Within the regional folk group, I would be Virginian/Eastern Coast-ian. I don't know any folklore for Virginia off the top of my head, but as mentioned below, there is the legend of the Bunnyman Bridge. Someone told me the story once, but I can't remember it, and then they tried to get me to go there.
And lastly, I am French/Native American/White. There is probably a wealth of folklore within those ethnicities alone, but I don't know my family history well enough to describe any of it.
That was probably way longer than it needed to be..

1 comment:

  1. Hi--good post. We'll be discussing Bunnyman when we get to legends next week. -dls

    ReplyDelete