Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Brenda's Folk Groups

First, I would like to say that so far everybody's posts are very interesting! All of us have a very diverse folk history.
As this is the first time I have thought about folk groups, imagine the surprise when I started to figure out just how many I have!
Occupational:
I believe that former jobs will hold here, they have all shaped (and to a degree twisted) me into who I am. I am a former transportation (logistics) worker. On the surface I might not think that there is much folk lore there, however!, there is. The sense of humor required to do this kind of bands us together, as does the adaptability to working overnight. There are stories that are handed from worker to worker to learn how to handle situations as well as anecdotes that are passed on. Additionally, how you celebrate a holiday while working a job that is essentially 365 days a year and 24/7 is kind of unique.
Age Groups:
Well this is just not fair. Starting tomorrow I get to join the new age group of 40 year olds. It is unique enough to be attending college (another occupational group!) but to be an over 35 year old and full time college student has got to be its own folk group! I am still figuring out the folklore there.
Family Groups:
As the family historian, I am in charge of a large amount of our family folklore, for both my small family unit and our larger one - with all the aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. I have the scrapbooks and photos and I am in the process of recording the stories. One of the benefits of being a history major is that I have an interest in our history, and I truly like the every person history aspect. I do not think you can know a country's history if you do not know about its people, not just the wealthy, male ones! Our family has certain little things we say that are only common within us, I think. Additionally how we celebrate Christmas is just slightly different, we celebrate on Christmas Eve with presents from family and on Christmas morning with Santa - no matter how old we are (although it is easier now that most of my generation has kids) this stems from my mother's family coming from Ireland (apparently it was a custom to celebrate Christmas Eve more there) and my father was brought up in a military family where his father would be at work on Christmas.
Gender differentiated groups:
I belong to the female group and I truly appreciate it! I have received stories and recipes as well as learning certain arts that I would not have learned had I been a boy. In history women have been overlooked for so long and we are finally getting some interest, and alot of women's history has been passed down through as folk lore.
Regional Groups:
I belong to the "born in western Massachusetts but escaped to the South as soon as humanly possible as it is too bloody cold in the north" group, some of my folk lore from that group includes the love of the Boston Red Sox - yes there is lore there, it is also a family tradition.
Ethnic, nationality and religious:
On one side of my family it is all Irish all of the time, this is a fun folk group. There are stories and traditions that are passed, including music - dance, recipes, stories. The other side is unique - Polish and Russian on one side - great recipes there too! and the other side has been in the US since before the Revolutionary War. That side has some great folk lore as it is also centered in Eastern Tennessee so there is the Southern aspect as well as the been here a long long time aspect. Recipes, family traditions, canning, music, quilting, farming all are on that side. The religious group I belong to is the Roman Catholic one and that group is quite full of rite and ceremony that has been passed on for 2000 years.
I know that the chapter ends there but there are a few other folk groups. More social ones. I belong to the ballet moms group - there definitely is one! Our lore includes stories of productions and performances, it includes make up and hair techniques too. I am also a Girl Scout leader, there is lots of lore there as well.
I hope this made sense! I am looking forward to exploring this topic in class!

No comments:

Post a Comment