Monday, May 18, 2009

Folklore and Folk Groups

Based on the readings I came to the basic understanding that a folk group is made up of individuals who share an acceptance of traditions, group tastes, and values. The book outlines six general kinds of folk groups; occupational, age, family, gender-differentiated, regional, and ethnic or nationality groups. Each person can belong to more than one folk group at any given time, which is to say that you don't necessarily have to be an indigenous person living in the rain forest to belong to a folk group.
Based simply on the six general kinds of folk groups, I would say that I belong to all six. My occupational group would be considered to be a full-time student. My age group could be generalized as 18-25 consisting of a school folklore age range. My family folk group would obviously consist of myself and my immediate family; including folklore like holiday celebrations, scrapbooks, etc. My gender-differentiated folk group believe would consist of my many different roles as a female; daughter, granddaughter, aunt, girlfriend, and sister. Each role with its own unique folklore. Finally, I could say that my regional folk group could be defined as a Northern Virginian, or simply a Virginian or keep it national with American.
An example of different types of folklore in one of my groups would probably include the following; scrapbooks and/or photo albums, old favorite bedtime stories, my grandpa's jokes and his stories from growing up, would all encompass my family group.

No comments:

Post a Comment