Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Personal Folklore and Worldview

Worldview:
I have soaked up influences from a blending of cultures, but my Italian traditions are my foundation. My personal Italian folklore is an expression of my worldview. My Italian great grandfather came to America for economic opportunity. He believed that ambition and hard work was the key to a good job. I incorporate his philosophy, in conjunction with a good education, as I aspire toward my career goal.

My Italian folklore toward money is very conservative. The Italian family is not big on the stock market and not too trusting of many investments, and most hard-earned money is invested in products backed by the government. I have also been influenced by this view of handling money.

My Italian roots are very family-centric. Family is always helping family, whether to babysit, set up a blind date, help find a job, taking care of the elderly relatives, etc. Family remains very close, even if someone moves to another state. My worldview incorporates the Italian folklore of the importance of family.

Everyday Life:
My family usually kiss when they meet at holidays and celebrations. It’s also common in Italy for male relatives and close male friends to embrace each other. I greet my other sides of the family in the same manner, which at first seemed strange to them.

Having wine with my dinner is carried over from my Italian traditions. My Italian great grandfather used to have his own wine cellar and always offered a glass of wine before starting a meal, and made a toast ( salute!) before drinking. Although we don't have a wine cellar at home today, my family and I still have a glass of wine with dinner. We strive to have mealtime together as well.

Dinner always has some kind of pasta, however, it is now made with low-fat cheeses and whole wheat or whole grain pasta.
Christine Watkinson

No comments:

Post a Comment