Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Friendship & Folklore

According to Barre Toelken, a worldview is “the manner in which a culture sees and express its relation to the world around it.” For me, my worldview is very basic: Treat others the way you would want to be treated. I believe that you as an individual have a responsibility to not just yourself, but to your peers as well. Do your part to help them and don’t ask for anything in return. I think unconditional love for your friends is the most valuable gift you can give to anyone. A piece of personal folklore that I have is when I was younger around 8 or 9, I would travel a lot with my dad via Airports and he taught me how to read the signs to know where I am going and look at the departure and arrival screens and make sure to give myself enough time when checking in and going to my gate. Other than actual traveling, my dad was teaching me responsibility so that when I’m with a group of friends, I will be able to help them in situations if we get lost or so. My folklore is an expression of my worldview, because it helped me take care of myself so that I can take care of others afterwards. If I can help people in the best way possible, it will put a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment