Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Written vs. Oral

I have an example that plays right into this.

Just a few days ago I was at the Border's bookstore. I often go to browse through the bargain shelves and usually find something good. On this occasion I found a collections of scary stories appropriately called "Scary Stories Treasury." Something was familiar about this book, and the subheading caught my attention. It read "Three books to chill your bones. Collected from folklore and retold by Alvin Schwartz."

Then I recalled why I remembered it. I had these books as a kid and I remember being incredibly frightened by some of the stories. So I picked it up. When I anxiously opened it that night I was somewhat confused. Some of the stories were creepy, but I wasn't nearly as terrified as I was years ago. I soon understood why. At the end of some of the more awkwardly plotted, but briskly paced, stories there was bracketed text on the bottom. They were suggested actions or sounds. For example, at the end of one of the stories reads, "Now SCREAM." The story, as I read it, did not put me in that position to be scared that I expected. But, I wasn't reading them all those years ago. When the same story was being read to me the puzzling plot and fast pace probably would cause me to lean in, engaged, only to be shocked by the screaming reader.

The effects of these tales are completely different depending on how you receive them. I can't wait to pull these out on some unsuspecting little rugrats!!

No comments:

Post a Comment