Wednesday, June 3, 2009

written vs. oral stories

When I was a kid my mom used to tell me tales orally because she does not know how to read or write. The way she told me was so interesting and she made me believe that everything was true. She used to tell me stories to scare me sometimes so that I would listen to her. One time I would not go to sleep and kept bothering her. She decided to tell me a tale so that I would stop being so hyper. She told me one about a little girl who was being bad and her mother locked her out of the house at night time. Then the girl was screaming that she saw something that had eyes that were lighting and started screaming. The mom didn’t believe her, and later she opened the door and discovered the girl was gone. The next day the girls clothes were found in a jungle and some beast had eaten her. I was so scared after hearing that story that I didn’t mumble a word after that. When someone tells you a story orally it is more believable. If she had read that to me then I would not have thought it was real because it would have been from a book. By telling it orally you can add emotion to the story and make it more dramatic. When a tale is being read then you have to give a lot of thought to it, and there is not that much action to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment