Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Reading vs Hearing

When I read something, I often imagine the way a character looks (based on a description sometimes but usually my own version of that) and how they will speak. I even went as far to imagine that Hermione's name in Harry Potter was pronounced totally different than the proper way and that she her bookish mannerisms would be more exaggerated. The difference between these two Hermione's is personal interpretation. When sometimes presents a story or character orally, it is their version of that character and thus takes on the personality, mannerisms, voice that the person telling the tale imagines they would have. When I think of family stories told by my father when I was a child, I don't imagine the characters in my own context, but just as he made them and with the voices he used. Often, viewing a story is much more lively than reading it also. The people acting out the characters tend to be dramatic and full of spirit because they are trying to embody the character. When we read we may envision the scene and how things will look and act, but it is nothing in comparison to how it feels to sit and watch the story unfold in front of your eyes and ears. To me, this is the major difference between these two methods of story-telling, personal interpretations.

No comments:

Post a Comment