Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Folklore vs Folklife and some Architecture

So far I have to say that I agree with some earlier posters who have acknowledged that the difference between folklore and folklife is a thin line and it is difficult to distinguish. From the reading, I think that the main difference is that folklife is part of folklore - it falls under the umbrella of folklore. Folklore encompasses more than folklife does, I think...possibly?
From what I have read the main difference between architecture and folk architecture is that folk architecture includes non academic buildings and can be linked to a specific area. For example, the discussion of Farm Buildings in New England and the cabins in the Midwest, these are particular buildings with particular layouts that are prone to being in a specific area of the country. While I was trying to figure this out I did find a website that spells it out quite nicely, it is under the Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, that site said that folk architecture also rarely has a trained architect involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment