Monday, June 1, 2009

Family Definition-Tenacity

I have always loved hearing my grandmother tell stories about our family. It has always fascinated me, hearing about the people who were gone before I was born but helped to shape who I am. One of my favorites to hear about was my grandfather, my mom's dad. He passed on when I was 3 1/2 and I actually have 2 very visual memories of him, he was a stone mason from Ireland and I always remember the size of his hands. I also remeber the story my grandmother would tell about the broom. My mother, my grandmother and I (aged 0-2) would go shopping, it was our outing - usually purely window shopping but it was girls' day out-my dad was in school or watching baseball with my grandfather. One day my grandfather decided to come with us, he needed a broom. He wanted a specific broom, and apparently as a result we went to about 15 different stores to look for the broom. The ladies did not get to pick single store, as we had to get the broom. In fact, 30 years later, my grandmother still would say, remember the time we had to get the broom? Interestingly enough, the broom is part of the family, my mother gets it into her head that she needs something, it is always something specific and we always have to search for it. And it is NEVER a simple search, it becomes a quest similar to the broom, we call these trips - searching for the broom, still to this day. In another bizarre twist, I have noticed that I am doing the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment