Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Grimm's Tales

First, I must say that I experience numerous “what the hell?” moments when reading these stories, primarily once I reach the endings. The issue is not necessarily the consistent disunity, but rather a question of “and what was the point?” At times I am not able to determine a moral to the stories, and I wonder if some vital point was lost in the translation. Perhaps it’s because the stories are condensed, or at least in comparison with the various oral renditions from my childhood. I definitely believe these are stories that are intended to be narrated versus read individually, mainly because they are short stories with fantasy and somewhat suspenseful elements, and commonly employ talking animals and/or various bizarre characters. Often these tales consists of rhymes, which would make the telling versus reading more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment