Monday, June 1, 2009

The Musical Exception

Growing up my Great Aunts always said that I was the musical exception in our family but I never really understood why. When I was young I would often be coaxed into performing for my family or their friends, esp when my Grandmother and Great Aunts were around. I never really gave this thought beyond the fact that my family seemed to enjoy it so I liked doing it. Earlier this year I finally asked my Aunt Gale why people in the family had always said this to me and she told me a short story about my Grandmother and my two Great Aunts. The Gale sisters had been part of a drum and bugle corp. when they were growing up and would go around performing. Aunt Mabel carried the US flag, Aunt Florence was the drum major, and my Grandmother played the bugel. All of the women in the family were musically talented which passed down to my mother and my Aunt Gale as well. Everyone played an instrument. I apparently am the only one who sings, plays the instruments at the same time, and dances all alone. I never understood until she explained this to me. This is now part of our family history that I am carrying on.

No comments:

Post a Comment