Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Foodways

My family is Jewish and I feel like we have a lot of food traditions during the year. These traditions are usually on Jewish holidays and of course Thanksgiving. My dad always cooks and my grandmother used to cook. She had this amazing blueberry cheesecake that she made and I couldn't get the recipe from her before she died, because she never wrote it down. I did however get the matzo ball recipe from her for matzo ball soup. In Jewish customs to have a very light and airy matzo ball is perfection. It took two years to get it right with my sister, but we finally got it from watching my grandmother mix the matzo ball mix and then use her hands to roll the balls. The other thing that really signifies food ways for me is cast iron cook wear. I never used a skillet or learned how to cook in one until I came to college and I still think everyone should have cast iron. Treating it is the coolest part. You can add oils and flavors that you regularly use and it will just be on there, for forever. Every time my family gets together for an eating holiday I always want to really learn how to cook and one day I will. One day I will learn exactly how to roast a leg of lamb or a turkey and have everyone love it, hopefully then I'll have my dad's help so I don't burn the house down.

No comments:

Post a Comment