Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Food in the Family

In my family, holidays always mean food, and there are a few specific foods that are always fixed for specific holidays. For Easter, there are always deviled eggs and Five-Cup Salad (which is kind of like Watergate Salad, if you're familiar with that). Thanksgiving always means deep-fried turkey with a Cajun-spiced melted butter sauce injected into it, sweet potato casserole with a crunchy brown sugar & pecan topping, and pumpkin bread. We have cranberry bread at Christmastime, and I personally prefer this to pumpkin bread. Sometimes we even do St. Patrick's Day and Cinco de Mayo (with corned beef & cabbage, and some sort of Mexican fare, respectively).
The most popular dish in my family, though, doesn't have a holiday spotlight. It's called Beef & Biscuit Casserole. I'm honestly not sure where it came from, but it's very delicious. It's basically just, in a 9x13 pan, this beef mixture on the bottom (seasoned ground beef, chiles, and this very tasty sauce that I don't know how to make) filling the pan probably halfway, and canned biscuit dough layed out across the top of it. A lot of us request it for our birthday dinners. That's another tradition in my family -- that my mom will make us whatever we want to eat on our birthday. Sometimes we go out or order in, but usually my mom cooks, and three of us chose Beef & Biscuit Casserole last year.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Watergate salad--the 70s and its influence on our food traditions.

    ReplyDelete