Monday, November 23, 2009

Blog 7: Foodways

For my family, food is one of the best ways to celebrate the holidays. Thanksgiving isn't Thanksgiving for us unless there is turkey (obviously) with Dad's homemade dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, and pumpkin pie (which I will be making this year). Since Christmas comes right after, instead of turkey, my family fixes a special chicken dish called "Malita's chicken" that has chicken breasts smothered in a creamy sauce and covered with bread crumbs. This particular tradition started after my family and I first moved to Virginia in the 1990s.

Christmas is probably the most important food holiday, actually, because throughout December my mom, my sister, and I will make cookies and desserts every week. Our favorite things to make are chocolate chip cookies, Snickerdoodels, and my great-grandmother's Greek butter cookies. These food traditions come and go from year-to-year depending on things that are happening, but no matter what happens, we are definitely going to be in the kitchen to create deliciousness.

1 comment: